Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Alternative Cooking

I'm so happy recently because my family got a new oven! Up till recently we have been cooking most of our meals using a toaster oven. It has been interesting finding new ways to cook things that we are used to having a full sized oven to cook with. It is a relief to be able to use our oven again, but this has gotten me thinking about how hard it would be to cook and eat if all I had to cook with was a microwave or a toaster oven, or maybe without any heat source at all. I have some ideas and recipes for just these kinds of situations.

Microwave recipes/preperations
Recipes that require no cooking:
cucumber tomato salad
Ham sandwich spread
Something easy to make is sandwiches.
I love to make a peanut butter and banana sandwich, and there are so many different kinds of sandwiches you can make that are filling and nutritious. Try fresh tomatoes with a little mayo and cheddar cheese.

Also many fresh fruits and veggies are perfectly delicious raw, and can actually retain more of their nutrients that way. Just wash them with cool clean water and maybe cut them up into bite sized pieces. Something I love is apple pieces with peanut butter, it's delicious and super good for you with protein, vitamins, and lots of fiber.

Recipes for a Slow Cooker:
Ham and Bean Soup
Garlic Herb Corn
overnight oatmeal
There are so many things you can make with a slow cooker, most soups and stews are easily prepared in a slow cooker. You can also slow "roast" pretty much any meat in a slow cooker, ones that are particularly good are pork roasts and beef pot roast. Just toss them in it with some carrots, onions, potatoes, and a little broth or water in the morning on the lowest setting and leave them until dinner time and you will be surprised by how delicious it is.

Basically what I'm trying to show is that with a little creativity you can prepare food in just about any situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment